Теперь Кью работает в режиме чтения

Мы сохранили весь контент, но добавить что-то новое уже нельзя

My Russian friends say that no one says "nazdrovye" when drinking together, but it's in all the films. Why?

ЗашкваршнThe moscow timesRussian language
Hana VK
  · 11,8 K
Пользователь TheQuestion  · 17 июл 2016

Hello, you are probably a bit wrong about pronunciation, usually at the feast, russian people says "za zdorovye" not an "na zdorovye". The difference between that two sentences is when russian people says "na zdorovye" they want to show their gratitude for gratitude. "Na zdorovye" means "You're welcome".

Example:
— Can you give me a glass please, I want to pour vodka.

*Apply glass*

— Spasibo!

— Na zdorovye!

So, let's talk about "za zdorovye". This is the usual toast, which says Russian people. Actually thats looks pretty strange because "za zdorovye" means "I want to propose a toast to health and prosperity". I mean alcohol negatively affects the health, how can we drink for it? But this is absolutely normal in Russia and no one gives it value. :)

Программист, музыкант, ну и что  · 23 июл 2016

You know, in the company of my friends we almost always drink with words:
-valar morghulis!
-valar dohaeris...
And it is kind of funny as hell. 140

Техн. переводчик с/на английский (и с немецкого). Книги и вокруг, языки, COVID, миро- и...  · 23 авг 2017

We never say "Na zdorovye" when toasting, but we never say "Za zdorovye (full stop)", either. You need to specify. The toast usually goes like "(Давайте выпьем) за здоровье родителей юбиляра" = (Let's drink) to the health of the hero of the day's parents.

Another popular toast is "Будем здоровы" = Let us all be in good health.

Выпускник МГИМО, консультант по международному налогообложению. Технорейвер  · 22 сент 2016

I've heard numerous times that the stereotype stemms from the fact that during the cold-war period Russians were commonly played by other slavs in American movies. Among them were the Polish, who allegedly say "Na zdrowie" when they drink. So at some point things got mixed up.

I'm not sure if it is a valid explanation, but it does sound legit

Концертный задрот  · 11 авг 2018

Потому что "nazdrovye" это попытка прямого перевода "cheers". У нас в культуре такого слова нет, которое мы просто произносим, чокаясь, вот иностранцам и пришлось худо-бедно адаптировать.